Summer Term Mentor
Summer Program · Deep Creek, Eleuthera
The Island School, a not-for-profit organization based in The Bahamas, was founded to create and support transformational educational experiences with the vision of leadership effecting change, on the island of Eleuthera. The diverse educational initiatives, including our High School Semester and Summer Term, Deep Creek Middle School, Elementary Learning Center, and our Community Engagement and Partnerships, deliver unique educational journeys in conjunction with the authentic and meaningful work our organization undertakes in research and sustainable development at the Cape Eleuthera Institute, our research and innovation hub. We are reimagining what education is for, and redesigning how education is delivered.
The Summer Term Mentor is responsible for facilitating the delivery of a high school semester program, developing and fostering meaningful relationships with students, while collaborating with other staff mentors to ensure a cohesive environment for all involved. The successful candidate will mentor Island School students for a six-week program. During this time, the Summer Term Mentor will facilitate morning exercise program, assist in supporting camping and kayaking expeditions, and conduct residential duty twice each week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as student advisor to 4-5 students: provide mentoring to each student
- Assist with the delivery of lessons whether in a classroom or expeditionary format when appropriate
- Conduct residential duty on rotating faculty duty schedule and contribute to evening activities
- Support expeditionary experiences
- Lead and support student activities such as morning exercise, chores and community events
- This is an overview of the position, but responsibilities are not limited to the above list
- Other duties as assigned
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with our without notice.
Skills and Qualifications
Education: Degree or pursuing a degree in education, expeditions, marine biology, biology, environmental science, or a related field
- Ability to collaborate well with others and be adaptable
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Self-motivated, self-reliant, and self-confident.
- Desire to work as a mentor to students ages 15-17
- Ability to work long, often physically intensive days
- Must have a high level of comfort in the water and demonstrate strong swimming ability
- Able to survive and thrive in a small, tight-knit, green, sustainable campus community, located in a remote part of The Bahamas with a “can-do” attitude to address challenges and opportunities of such a place.
- SCUBA or Freediving certification a plus
- WFR certification
- Experience mentoring youth
- Experience with the semester school model of camp counseling
- Sea or land-based expedition experience
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary (commensurate with experience)
- On-campus meals
- On-campus housing
This is a full-time position with contractual period review. The Cape Eleuthera Island School and its related entities operate year round and working hours vary depending on needs but are typically Monday-Friday (40 hours/week), however, evening and weekend work may be required. Special events will require periods of time outside of normal working hours when staff must be on site for extended periods. The successful candidate should expect, and desire to work a variable and mission driven schedule.
Applicants should submit documents in PDF format through our BambooHR hiring portal: https://ceis.bamboohr.com/jobs
- Cover letter that states career interests, why you would like to work for the Cape Eleuthera Island School/Division and your relevant experience and qualifications for the position.
- Current resume.
- Two references (to include name, address, telephone number and email address) familiar with the applicant’s work.
We are collecting applications until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is: June 9, 2023 and anticipated end date is August 6, 2023. We are a Bahamian equal opportunity employer.
Apply for this Position
Your application was submitted successfully
Deep Creek, Eleuthera