The Summer Naturalist Internship with ADK is an excellent opportunity to learn and gain experience creating and conducting natural history programs, promoting responsible recreation and Leave No Trace; and environmental education programs for children and adults. Intern assumes a diversity of responsibilities including: elementary school outreach programming, serving as a summit host on Mt. Jo; developing environmental education and evening programs; public presentations; guided hikes; community outreach; development and maintenance of self-guided trails; managing and staffing the Heart Lake Natural History Museum; and exhibit development. Opportunities for special projects in exhibit design; flora/fauna inventory; interpretation; outdoor recreation; and visitor studies are available during the season.
• Educational background in environmental education/interpretation, natural history, natural sciences or related field.
• Previous experience working in education, outdoor recreation, or a nature/visitor center
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, public speaking, professionalism, and outdoor leadership
• Ability to work both independently and as a team member
• High level of organizational skills to effectively plan, teach, and administer the diverse demands of the job, and keep detailed records
• Motivated, enthusiastic, creative, and willing to work with people of all ages
• Familiarity with the Adirondacks a plus and love of the outdoors a MUST!
Position: Summer Naturalist Intern (4)
Location: Heart Lake in the High Peaks Wilderness
Position Dates: May 22- late August
Work Schedule: varies according to programming needs; 44 hours/week
Compensation: Stipend: $200/week, full room (rustic!) and board, academic credit, extensive training, opportunity to attend ADK workshops w/out charge, opportunity spend the summer in an incredibly beautiful place!
Please send resume and cover letter to:
PO Box 867
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Application Deadline: February 15, 2016 or until positions have been filled.