Toxics Action Center, a New England-wide non-profit public health and environmental organization, seeks a dynamic and hard-working community organizer who knows that it takes an engaged and active citizenry to make our democracy work, hold polluters accountable, and win real results for our health and the environment. Corporate polluters will go to great lengths to avoid responsibility for their messes, and government bureaucracies are slow to act. Building powerful local organizations and empowering communities to take action are critical for us to win against powerful special interests. Community organizers for Toxics Action Center organize with communities to tackle environmental threats, bring residents together to achieve proactive, positive change, and develop long-term leaders to broaden the environmental and social change movement.
At Toxics Action Center, we start from the core belief that everyone has the right to breathe clean air, drink clean water, and live in a healthy community where government operates responsively and democratically. For the last 29 years, our mission has been to make these rights a reality by organizing side by side with residents who are facing toxic threats to build their capacity and power. We train residents in the skills and know-how they need to run effective local campaigns, while also developing long-term leaders to fuel New England’s progressive movements. Our work has helped groups win hundreds of local victories: we prevented radioactive waste dumps from being built across Massachusetts, won fights against incinerators and landfills and for zero waste across the region, won retirement of three coal-fired power plants in Massachusetts, and organized with citizens in South Portland to stop Exxon Mobil’s plans to bring tar sands into Maine.
● Campaign development: You’ll identify the biggest local environmental threats, enter the threatened communities, and build relationships with key local leaders. You’ll work with local leaders to identify solutions to local environmental problems and develop creative strategies to win.
● Community organizing training and leadership development: You will organize with 10-15 community groups each year, conducting group training consultations on campaign skills and running one-on-one coaching and leadership development sessions with community leaders.
● Coordinate coalitions: You will work with the traditional environmental community, volunteer activists, and unlikely allies to build public support to influence decision-makers.
● Communications: You will work to increase the organization’s media presence and name recognition through events, news releases, campaign materials, and online organizing.
● Fundraising: You will identify and cultivate donors, assist with grant-writing, and participate in other grassroots fundraising tactics including door-to-door canvassing and planning other fundraising events.
Candidates must be ambitious, have leadership experience, strong written and verbal communication skills, a track record of accomplishment, and an ability to work effectively with all different types of people. The ideal candidate is passionate about community organizing and movement building. We value previous organizing experience.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience. Toxics Action Center offers a competitive benefits package. Eligible staff receive health insurance, paid holidays, sick days, vacation days, and the opportunity to enroll in our college loan assistance and 401(k) programs. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Community organizers can be based in Burlington, VT or Amherst, MA
Apply online at http://bit.ly/2komqh7
Direct your application to Sylvia Broude, Executive Director. We’ll review your application, and if we are interested in discussing your candidacy further, we will be in touch with you shortly.
Toxics Action Center is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to a diverse workplace and a diverse movement. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status.
Click here to apply – Please mention that you saw the job on Orion Magazine