INTERNSHIPS AND JAVATREKKING
INTERNSHIPS AT HOME AND ABROAD
We have a very robust internship program at Dean’s Beans. College students from around the country have done great work (and gotten credits!) for an amazing variety of important programs with our farmer coops in Latin America (the closest, but if you want to work in Indonesia…)
Some ideas for international internships are:
- Social Impact Monitor: Survey farmer families about the impacts of Fair Trade, Organics, cooperativism, or other themes and write a research report about your findings.
- Cooperative Intern: Are you a graphic designer? Web guru? Business maven?
- Cooperatives can use help in many areas; we can help match you with the right one.
- Health Promoter: You could provide health education and training to farmer communities, or perform needs assessments.
- Eco-Management: Help farmers test their soils, work with agronomists in the fields, or geo-reference farm plots, to name a few options.
** Please consider your language skills and the challenges of working in a foreign environment.
There are many internship opportunities at home as well. Here are some project ideas:
- Marketing: Graphic design and layout, event planning and promotion (coffee music festival?), events focusing on a specific coffee-producing country (e.g. Indonesian Coffee and Culture Day)
- Office Management: assist in the offices of Dean’s Beans, study and make suggestions about workflow and efficiency
- Web design: Help us design a mobile app!
- Education students: Help us develop a curriculum about ethical consumerism and Fair Trade then take the curriculum on tour to local schools and guest-teach.
- Soccer and Fair Trade: Develop a curriculum about Fair Trade to teach to soccer teams in local schools. We have Fair Trade soccer balls to provide to the teams.
- Social Media: Help us develop and implement a social media strategy that is in line with our progressive values.
- Environmental Science: Update our carbon usage analysis!
- Research: Produce a report on migratory bird species from the coffeelands or on the impacts of Climate Change in the coffee lands and industry and farmer responses.
Okay, all fired up? Just drop us a line at [email protected].
Javatrekkers Corps (for us Oldies but Goodies!)
If you are out of college and want to share your skill base with some of our farm cooperatives, this is the program for you! We match the needs of farming communities with the skills that you have to offer. Recent assignments have included creating an on-going English teaching curriculum, and an organic farmers exchange in Peru. They may also include the types of assignments listed above for international interns. These assignments may be for a week or three months, it is up to you and the coops. Email us for details at [email protected].