Internship Title: Finance & Administrative Intern
Name of Organization: Ecotrust
Who we are
Ecotrust creates and accelerates triple-bottom-line innovations to benefit our region and inspire
the world. On the farm, at the coast, in the forest, and across our cities, we work in partnership
towards an equitable, prosperous, climate-smart future. Since 1991, we have created durable change
and sparked ideas across the globe. Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as
core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the
organization, we seek diverse perspectives and lived experiences that we believe foster learning,
creativity, innovation, and equity. Learn more at Ecotrust.org.
Equity at the center
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity as core principles integral to
the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse
perspectives and lived experiences that we believe foster learning, creativity, innovation, and
Location: Portland, OR Ecotrust’s Natural Capital Center 721 NW 9th Ave, Ste. 200
Portland, OR 97209
Reports To: Financial Analyst, but will work with other members of the Finance Team as well
Internship Description: The Finance & Administrative Intern will provide support to the Finance &
Administrative functions of the organization, teams which, in-turn, support the various
programmatic efforts of Ecotrust. You will gain experience in working with Microsoft Office,
primarily through Excel but also Outlook, Word and Sharepoint, along with Dynamics SL, Salesforce
and Raiser’s Edge.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
• Provide backup support for Front Desk reception including greeting those coming to our office
and answering the general phone line.
• Sort and deliver incoming mail; post outgoing mail each day.
• Cash Receipts: record incoming checks on daily log; collaborate with Events, Development, and
Finance teams to determine proper account coding; deposit checks into the correct bank account and
maintain necessary backup.
• Petty Cash: provide secondary reconciliation of petty cash and draft journal entries to
record cash transactions monthly.
• Development Reconciliations: with support from the Financial Analyst, reconcile the donations
and grants recorded each month between the accounting and development systems.
• Support our Development team with outreach efforts, especially during our year-end
• Event Revenue Reconciliation: with review from the Financial Analyst, reconcile the revenue
recorded for Event Rental Space each month with the Events team and corresponding customer
• Accounts Payable: ensure incoming payment requests have proper expense coding and approvals,
follow-up as needed for documentation. Input the payments into the accounting system for review and
processing by the Staff Accountant.
• Able to participate in Ecotrust’s Lunch & Learns and Courageous Conversations to increase
knowledge and skills in other areas.
• Special projects as assigned, such as: data entry for one of our climate-focused research
grants; assistance with Development and Communication mailings; preparing Board Meeting packets;
coordinating on design of an electronic file system for our Communication and Events teams.
Required skills and experience:
● Enthusiasm for the mission of Ecotrust and commitment to addressing climate change and placing
equity at the center of work
● Strong organizational and collaborative skills
● Ability to work independently and in a support role
● Excellent interpersonal skills with a flexible work style
● High level of professionalism
● Proficiency with office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Preferred student level and/or major: Candidates with a variety of majors are encouraged to apply,
with a strong preference for those who have an interest in or are pursuing an accounting or
finance-related degree (major or minor).
First-generation college students and students of color are encouraged to apply.
Duration of internship: June- August 2020. Exact duration is negotiable.
Desired start date: June 9, 2020. Exact date is negotiable.
Time Commitment per week/per term: ~20hrs/week
Compensation: Compensation is through the Williams College Internship Program
Application Deadline: Monday, March 16, 2020
How to Apply: Please follow these directions closely. Complete and submit a cover letter (1- page
maximum) and your resume to our Intern Coordinator, Katherine White, at
[email protected] with “Williams Internship” in the subject line.