Over 100 Years of Education, Conservation & Advocacy
Audubon Society of Rhode Island
Environmental Educator (per-diem)
The Audubon Society of Rhode Island is looking for highly qualified and dependable environmental educators for
per diem educator positions. These positions involve teaching the Society’s environmental education programs to
a broad spectrum of audiences at various Audubon wildlife refuges including the Bristol Nature Center &
Aquarium, schools,recreation sites and other community organizations. Hours may vary and are flexible.
Additional weekend and special event opportunities are sometimes available for extra hours and potential to
continue working in the fall. This position reports to the Senior Director of Education.
• Teach programs on natural history and environmental topics in a wide variety of settings, such as
classrooms, Audubon wildlife refuges, after school and summer settings and libraries.
• Work with animals used in education programs as necessary (reptiles, amphibians & arthropods).
• Serve as a liaison between the education community and the Audubon Society.
• Remain informed about current natural history and environmental issues.
• Keep program props, specimens and resource materials in good shape.
• Miscellaneous other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree in one of the natural sciences or education.
• Experience working with children – a variety of ages and diverse backgrounds.
• Ability and willingness to work outdoors despite extremely sunny, hot or rainy conditions.
• Experience working with animals a plus.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Able to work in teams as well as independently.
• Flexible schedule.
• Must be physically capable of walking several miles and able to lift up to 35 pounds.
• Candidates should have reliable transportation and valid driver’s license.
• Hold or be able to acquire First Aid and CPR certification.
• Must undergo and pass a background check upon hire.
Interested and qualified individuals should forward their cover letter and resume to: Lauren Parmelee, Senior
Director of Education, Audubon Society of Rhode Island, 1401 Hope Street, Bristol, RI 02809, or email
Audubon Society of Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer