GEORGIA RIVER NETWORK
Posted: February, 2015
Position begins: Flexible Start Date
About Georgia River Network
Formed in June 1998, Georgia River Network (GRN) is a statewide non-profit environmental organization solely dedicated to the conservation of Georgia’s waters. We envision rivers that we can use for drinking, swimming, fishing, and boating; rivers that add beauty and value to our communities, and meet the needs of the ecosystems they support.
Georgia River Network works to ensure a clean water legacy by engaging and empowering Georgians to protect, restore and enjoy our rivers from the mountains to the coast. Our strategy is to ENGAGE, EMPOWER, and ADVOCATE. We:
● Engage people in the enjoyment and protection of their rivers,
● Empower people to effectively address issues impacting their waterways, and
● Advocate, alongside other advocates and Georgia’s network of 30+ river groups, for strong protections for our rivers.
Our offices are located in Athens, Georgia. For more information, visit our website www.garivers.org.
We have a number of project focus areas for interns. These projects include:
● Water Trails and Community Program Assistance – Interns will develop fact sheets for water trails, update existing fact sheets on rivers, collect data for trail maps, assist with workshops and with identifying new groups to engage in our work. Interns may also help with Hidden Gems paddle events.
● Social Media – Assist our Community Programs Coordinator with scheduling social media and working with videos and photos.
● Fundraising – Research best practices related to social media fundraising and implement a campaign under the guidance of our Director of Development.
● Programs – Assist with carrying out our projects and programs. This could include, but may not be limited to:
o Special events
o Education and Outreach
o GRN Website
o Paddle Georgia event
o Weekend for Rivers Event
● Basic understanding of watershed protection issues and non-profit organizations
● Ability to conduct complete and thorough research
● Organization Skills
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Ability to work independently and with a team
8hrs./week or more. Hours of work are flexible between8:00-5:00 M-F. We will ask you to set a regular schedule. Some work may be performed outside of our office. A minimum commitment of one semester is required.
This is an unpaid, non-credit internship (although internship credit could be worked out with appropriate UGA department).
Please submit a cover letter, which highlights your qualifications for this internship and indicate which specific job responsibilities match your interests and skills.
Georgia River Network-Internship Program
126 S. Milledge Ave., Suite E3
Athens, GA 30605
Or email to [email protected]