Outreach and Communications Intern
Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology
701 East Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21202
The Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology (IMET) is a graduate research institute in
downtown Baltimore. You can find more about research at IMET at imet.usmd.edu. The
Outreach and Communications Intern will work on two primary projects: coordinating an
outreach event at Baltimore’s ArtScape and producing content for the web to feature research at
IMET. Other projects may develop depending on the individual’s interests. This is a great
opportunity for a student with interests in science communication and ways to connect art and
● In coordination with faculty and graduate students, develop activities for ArtScape (July
19-21), Baltimore’s biggest arts festival. This is the first time that IMET will participate,
which leaves a lot of room for creativity.
● Create a resource book of science activities that graduate students and faculty can refer
to for developing future events, school visits, and other outreach activities.
● Interview graduate students on their research and write web stories.
● Work with student-run companies to produce videos on their work. Several graduate
students have started businesses that apply their research to real-world problems and
would be interested in promoting their work.
● Create 2-minute videos featuring long-term research projects in the labs of faculty
Please contact Molly Pickel at [email protected] with any questions.
Dates: mid June to mid August, flexible
Housing: Housing is not included, however we will do our best to advise. Baltimore has many
universities, so summer sublets are often available.