Headquartered approximately 10 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in El Monte, California,
BikeSGV is a young organization committed to creating a more bicycle-, pedestrian-, and
transit-friendly San Gabriel Valley by
● Educating the community about the many
benefits of biking, walking and using public
transit, including physical/mental health, air
quality improvement, and personal finance.
● Partnering with community groups, cycling
clubs, public health agencies, and other parties
to promote active transportation and support
multi-modal transportation planning.
● Informing and educating city staff and decision
makers about “Complete Streets” design to
that create safer streets for all road users.
● Developing strong working relationships with
city staff and government agencies to ensure
that local transportation policies and projects
safely accommodate bicyclists and pedestrians.
● Supporting policies and legislation to increase funding for people-friendly streets.
● Recognizing individuals, cities and staff persons who set the standard for promoting cycling in
the San Gabriel Valley.
● Organizing public events to promote active
How can you help?
● Plan and support open streets events
● Conduct community outreach
● Research and collect pedestrian, bike and
● Support community bicycle rides and events
● Learn and help teach basic bike maintenance
● Help communities obtain funding to make
biking and walking safer
● Bring your talents, interests and ideas
● Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word,
PowerPoint, Google Docs
● Research skills
● Comfort working with diverse communities
● Public speaking skills
● Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese speakers
● Knowledge of Geographic Information
● Passion for public health,
pedestrian/bike-friendly communities, and youth development
● Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings, to
accommodate community meetings and data collection requirements
● Willingness to utilize public and active transportation for commute and work-related
activities. A car is not required.
Interns will be supervised by the BikeSGV Program and Active Transportation Coordinators. Assistance
in finding housing will be provided if needed. Students should send a resume and cover letter to
Monica Curiel at [email protected]
More info: www.bikeSGV.org IG/FB/Twitter @bikeSGV