KENNEBEC LAND TRUST
2018 KLT Ronald Joseph Summer Internship
The Kennebec Land Trust (KLT) is seeking summer interns to work on trail maintenance and construction, land conservation projects, invasive plant control, educational programming, and general office work such as writing press releases and sending out mailings. Interns will have the opportunity to assist with environmental education programs at the Vaughan Woods & Historic Homestead http://vaughanhomestead.org/.
Interested applicants should be willing to learn basic plant identification skills, be able to perform physically demanding field work, be comfortable multi-tasking in the office, and have an interest in land conservation.
Optional Independent Research Opportunities: In addition to our Summer Internship Program, KLT provides opportunities for students to conduct independent research focused on wildlife and plant ecology, land use history, and conservation and resource management. Students can work with an advisor from their college or university on their independent projects and will be asked to submit a short summary of their research to KLT upon completion of their project. This summer we are specifically looking for students to conduct projects focused on:
1) enhancing wildlife habitat in managed forestlands 2) stream ecology 3) rare plant research 4) invasive plant ecology and control 5) the agricultural land use history of inland Maine islands 6) the economic and conservation benefits of local wood economies.
In addition to these topics, we welcome other project proposals.
Students’ studies have the potential to enhance KLT’s educational offerings, and to inform property management plans and our Strategic Conservation Plan.
KLT will help students frame research questions and identify properties on which to conduct research.
Rate of pay: KLT will provide a modest stipend. Interns and students conducting independent research projects are encouraged to apply for grant funding or work study funds from their college or university to compensate their time with KLT. KLT will provide mileage at IRS rate for summer interns. Some housing opportunities are available.
KLT supervision: Jean-Luc Theriault, Stewardship Director and Theresa Kerchner, Executive Director.
Hours: Flexible hours; 32-40 hours a week (Friday research day optional); June-August; some weeks will consist of more work hours than others.
· minimum of one year of college, with preference to students working towards degrees in education, environmental science, biology, forestry, geography or related degree (or equivalent experience); other majors will be considered
· ability to work independently and as part of a team
· strong organizational and time management skills
· ability to perform moderately strenuous manual labor
· comfortable working outside
· valid drivers license
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and list of two references to the address below by February 19,2018. Both academic and prior work references are accepted.
Send full application to:
The Kennebec Land Trust
c/o Jean-Luc Theriault, Stewardship Director
PO Box 261
Winthrop, Maine 04364
Email: [email protected]