The Ecology Center seeks a passionate individual to lead our environmental education program. The Education Program Manager will develop curriculum that supports hands-on learning, conduct workshops to participants of diverse ages and backgrounds and foster community partnerships. The ideal candidate will be a team player who is passionate about the programs and mission of the LES Ecology Center and has experience in environmental education. The Education Program Manager must be committed to environmental justice and be comfortable interacting with a wide-range of individuals from a variety of social, ethnic and organizational backgrounds.
Due to the East Side Coastal Resiliency Project and the closure of East River Park, the Ecology Center will be temporarily moving its Environmental Learning Center to Seward Park in 2021. The Education Manager will be responsible for re-launching our education program and developing programs best suited to the new space and cater to the surrounding community. We are looking for someone who can bring their creativity, passion for the environment and dedication to life-long learning to the organization.
- Collaborate with leadership to guide the direction and vision for the environmental education program
- Instruct and develop curriculum for environmental education programs. Some of these programs currently include:
- Launching our new Lower East Side Food Justice program
- Leading street tree care stewardship workshops
- Urban ecology (estuary, terrestrial wildlife, botany etc) field trips for local schools and groups
- Citizen science and community science partnerships
- Public workshops on compost, zero waste and sustainability
- Coordinate and schedule environmental education and stewardship events with partners
- Oversee the maintenance of the Environmental Learning Center including live plant and animal care, equipment, exhibit design, and storage of
- Recruit, train, and supervise interns to assist with environmental education and stewardship programs
- Develop and foster relationships with community partners and serve as a representative of the Ecology Center in the local neighborhood and within the broader NYC environmental
- Track participation and programmatic data and write program reports
- Work with Development team to plan and secure funding for education related projects and programs
- Assist with other Ecology Center programs as needed
Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Expertise:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, environmental education, environmental science or related
- Team player that is self-directed with a can-do attitude, organized, and able to manage multiple projects
- Solid experience teaching environmental education and engaging people of diverse ages and backgrounds in outdoor education
- Ability to work with and effectively communicate with a wide range of people including: staff, teachers, community partners, volunteers, students, adult participants, the general public
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and complete physically demanding tasks
- Comfortable with Mac OS, Microsoft Office, Google Drive apps, and social media
- Evening and weekend availability as needed
- Valid driver’s license and comfortable driving in NYC
- Bilingual candidate a plus
This is a full-time position with competitive compensation and benefits.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by February 14, 2021. No phone calls please.
The Lower East Side Ecology Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. We recognize that our environmental mission is best advanced by leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture and we strive to recruit staff to create an organization that reflects the diversity of our neighborhood and city.