Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
Title: Park Operations Intern
Type of Position: Full-time, summer 2016
Reports to: Director of park Operations
Department: Park Operations
The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is seeking highly motivated and reliable individuals for a full-time summer position as Park Operations Intern. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, young organization and work on substantive projects that will improve a premier public space.
The intern will support the Conservancy Park Operations Department which is responsible for park maintenance, horticulture, improvements, and design review. The internship may also involve help with tasks such as volunteer coordination at an event or setup of a park program.
Interns will work on multiple projects and have the opportunity to present his/her work to senior staff. Possible projects include:
• Major Project
o Organizing and cataloguing “as-built” drawings from the Central Artery Tunnel Project and initial Greenway design files for ease of use by Operations staff
o Assist with creating a summary of data collected by Park Rangers
o Assist with further development of a Health & Safety policy
o Coordinate with the Public Art Curator on possible future installation areas
o Create specialty drawings for maintenance of fountains and lighting systems
o Review/Produce MSDS binders for all vaults, office and loading dock rooms
o Produce and update Maintenance and Horticultural PowerPoint’s
o Assist with signage design and production
o Organize the phenology photos
o Assist O&M staff as needed (research, attend meeting – take notes, etc.)
o Collect field data for capital replacement analysis and CMMS inventory
o Assist in expanding recycling program
o Assist O&M staff as needed
Skills and Qualifications
• Ability to read and understand engineering and technical drawings is critical for this position
• Background in architecture, engineering or a related field
• Strong analytical capabilities
• Strong communication skills
• Internet research skills
• Comfort working independently
• Ability to perform some manual labor, including lifting up to 50 lbs
• Knowledge of MS Office, especially Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
• Interest in non-profit management, urban planning, or other related field
• Knowledge of AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Suite a plus
• Familiarity with Boston and the Greenway a plus
• Reports to the Director of Park Operations
• The position duration is 10-12 weeks, beginning in June 2016
• This position is ~35-40 hours/week
• Work will take place both in the Conservancy offices and in the parks
• Work hours are generally Monday through Friday, but an occasional weekend day may be required. A weekday off will be provided in return for a weekend work day.
• Please email a one-page cover letter, a one-page resume, a writing sample (2-3 pages), and 3 references to [email protected] with subject line “Park Operations Intern application.”
• For the best chance of being offered the Park Operations Intern position, applicants should apply as soon as possible.
• No phone calls, please.
About the Greenway and the Conservancy
The Rose Kennedy Greenway is a mile-and-a-half of contemporary parks in the heart of Boston. The Greenway, a roof garden atop a highway tunnel, connects people and the city with beauty and fun. The non-profit Conservancy maintains, programs, and improves The Greenway on behalf of the public and in partnership with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
In 2015, The Greenway welcomed 1.2 million visitors for its events, Carousel, food trucks, and Wi-Fi, and millions more casually enjoyed the park. The Conservancy has won numerous awards, including for our organic landscape care and park programming. To learn more about The Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
RFKGC is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.