Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
Title: Community Relations and Marketing Intern
Type of Position: Internship
Paid: Hourly, exempt, ~20-30 hrs/wk, summer 2016
Number of positions: 2
Reports to: Community Affairs and Strategic Projects Manager
The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is seeking highly motivated individuals for two paid Community Relations and Marketing internship positions. This is an opportunity to join a young, dynamic organization and work to improve a premier public space.
The interns will help the Conservancy broaden the audiences that come to The Greenway to enjoy the Greenway Carousel, free events like the Boston Calling Block Parties, Mobile Eats food trucks, and new public art exhibits. The interns will help make deeper connections with adjacent communities like Chinatown and with diverse communities further afield. The interns will market Greenway offerings and build support for the Conservancy through creation and distribution of written and visual content.
• Attend community meetings.
• Proactively develop and deepen connections to diverse communities, expanding relationships beyond adjacent neighborhoods.
• Research and expand our list of potential program partners for events that increase the appeal of the Greenway to diverse audiences.
• Support the Volunteer Coordinator, Programs, and development staff in outreach efforts.
• Distribute/post content (e.g., flyers) to Greenway signs, hotel concierges, neighborhood businesses.
• Provide on-site support for Greenway, volunteer, and third-party events.
• Help facilitate Greenway programs and volunteer events in the park.
Communications and electronic marketing
• Generate compelling and timely content for blog, social media (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), and weekly e-newsletter.
• Disseminate information to event listings sites and online calendars.
• Execute simple graphic design layouts (e.g., park signs, flyers, posters) from templates
• Document (photo, video) events and activities.
• Lead photo re-cataloging effort.
• Draft initial versions of press releases to announce Greenway initiatives and events.
Skills and qualifications
• College graduate or current college student.
• Demonstrated experience and skill with
o written communications
o social media
o cross-cultural sensitivity
o communications with communities with English as a second language
• Collaborative, detail-oriented. Positive, high-energy, fun, calm under pressure.
o Existing relationships with diverse Boston/Commonwealth neighborhoods.
o Graphic design skill, including familiarity with Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.
o Bilingual speaking/writing skills.
o Photography and/or video production skills.
o Knowledgeable about the Greenway, open space issues, non-profits.
• The position is available immediately, however the expectation is for a duration of 10-12 weeks beginning in May/June.
• Work hours are Monday through Friday, but occasional evening and weekend hours will be required.
• Work will generally take place indoors, but the position will require some time on the Greenway.
• We will work with interns to receive college credit if interested.
• Please email a one-page cover letter, a one-page resume, a writing sample OR another relevant work sample, and references to [email protected] with job title in the subject line. (Candidates will be notified before references are contacted.) Each file name should include applicant’s last name, and email size should not exceed 8MB.
• For the best chance of being offered the internship, applicants should apply as soon as possible.
• No telephone inquiries, please.
About the Greenway and the Conservancy
The Rose Kennedy Greenway is a mile-and-a-half of contemporary parks in the heart of Boston. The Greenway, a roof garden atop a highway tunnel, connects people and the city with beauty and fun. The non-profit Conservancy maintains, programs, and improves The Greenway on behalf of the public and in partnership with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Greenway welcomed over 1 million visitors in 2014, plus millions more casually enjoyed the park. The Conservancy has won numerous awards, including for our organic landscape care and park programming. To learn more about the Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
RFKGC is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.