Title: Communications Intern
Reports to: Marketing & Community Affairs Manager
Type of position: Full-time, non-exempt, Summer 2021
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway
Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway.
The Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated individual for a Communications internship
position. This is an opportunity to join a young, dynamic organization and work to improve a
premier public space in the heart of Boston.
The Communications intern will help the Conservancy connect with the diverse audience of
visitors that come to The Greenway. The intern will promote Greenway offerings and build
support for the Conservancy through creation and distribution of written and visual content,
maintaining brand consistency throughout scope of work. Independent projects may vary based
on interests and experience of candidates.
This is a full-time, non-permanent intern position from approximately mid-June to the end of
August. The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday, though may include some
weekends and evenings scheduled with notice.
● Generate compelling and timely content for our blog, website, social media (Facebook,
Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn), and weekly e-newsletter.
● Pre-schedule recurring content on owned social media and assist in keeping
Conservancy website updated and responsive.
● Disseminate Conservancy initiatives across online platforms and calendars.
● Assist with drafting press releases, media advisories, and content to announce
Conservancy initiatives and events.
● Research and pursue increased brand awareness across Conservancy and Greenway
platforms and initiatives.
● Provide assistance with digital asset management by maintaining Conservancy photo
library, signage templates, etc.
● Support all Departments in outreach efforts, including messaging and storytelling for Park
Operations, Horticulture, Development, and Programs.
● Research avenues to increase community engagement/park visitation and diversify
● Provide assistance with organization and growth of contact lists
● Opportunity to attend community meetings/government hearings.
Skills and qualifications
● Entry-level position for a person 18 years or older.
● Demonstrated experience and skill with
○ Written communications and social media;
○ Cross-cultural sensitivity;
○ Multitasking and attention to detail;
○ Creative problem-solving.
● A plus but not required
○ Existing knowledge of Boston/Commonwealth neighborhoods;
○ Graphic design proficiency, including familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
programs (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.);
○ Written/spoken Chinese language proficiency;
○ Knowledge of The Greenway, open space issues, and/or non-profits.
● The position duration is ~10 weeks, beginning in May or June 2021.
● Hours are generally Monday through Friday, but occasional evening and weekend hours
will be required (with advanced notice).
● Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and current workplace guidelines, the Conservancy staff
in this Department are currently working remotely. We are open to discussing remote
work as well as in-office opportunities as guidelines change.
● We will work with interns to receive college credit if applicable.
● Housing opportunities are not available through the Conservancy.
● Please email the following to [email protected] with “Communications
Intern” in the subject line. Each file name should begin with the applicant’s last name.
o One-page cover letter including availability/ideal number of weekly hours
o 3 References
o Writing sample OR another relevant work sample
● Applicants are encouraged to send materials soon. Applications will be accepted on a
rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Greenway Conservancy ( www.rosekennedygreenway.org )
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes
millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is
the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the
public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
To learn more about The Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and
follow us on Instagram , Facebook , and Twitter .
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in
employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information,
gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by
Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
Title: Communications Intern