Alaska Pacific University’s Spring Creek Farm
Alaska Pacific University’s Spring Creek Farm is seeking a Sustainable Farm Management and Outreach Assistant to help with community and customer outreach and education during the 2021 season. This position will provide the successful candidate with experience in sustainable farm operations and management, environmental education, small business development and management, and communications.
Spring Creek Farm, located on Alaska Pacific University’s Kellogg Campus, is an educational farm located in Palmer, AK. We grow 2 acres of vegetables to supply a CSA program, farmers market, dining services and various educational programs involving APU students and the wider community. This is a 10-week position beginning June 6 and ending August 12, with some flexibility. This position will assist the Farm Manager and farm crew by fulfilling the following roles:
- Farm operations (2 days per week)
- Performing day-to-day farm operations alongside Farm Manager and farm crew, including planting, weeding, harvesting, washing, and marketing of vegetables.
- Education, Research and Outreach (2 days per week)
- Developing educational and outreach materials for CSA member newsletter, including photos, articles, essays, recipes, and other communications from the farm.
- Assisting with the development of materials for ongoing educational, research, and outreach projects, including cover crop variety trials and mechanical root washer development and demonstration.
- Under supervision of Farm Manager, managing social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Slack) in order to communicate specific goals and values of the organization to customers and the public.
- Farmer’s Market management (1 day per week)
- Helping to recruit and communicate with new market vendors and customers about market details.
- Assisting with day-of management of APU’s brand-new farmer’s market, including set-up, vendor placement and questions, welcome booth management, and customer engagement.
- When time allows, assisting Spring Creek Farm staff with farmstand and CSA pick-up management by interacting with customers, fielding questions, selling produce, and distributing vegetable shares.
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, and wind.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Academic and professional interest in sustainable agriculture and/or food systems.
- Ability to lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This is an unpaid, full-time assistantship.
- On-campus housing is provided in a farm apartment with a private room and shared kitchen, bathroom, and laundry spaces, along with fresh vegetables from the farm based on availability.
- Successful applicant will be enrolled in a 1-credit assistantship at Alaska Pacific University. No application for enrollment required.
- Successful applicant will be trained to drive University vehicles, and will have periodic access to a vehicle for local trips to grocery store, trailheads, etc.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two academic or professional references to APU Spring Creek Farm Manager, Ben Swimm (Williams ‘09), at [email protected] by 2/25/22. Your cover letter should discuss your interest in organic farm management and your ability to perform the duties detailed above, as well as relevant, previous experience.