Alaska Pacific University’s Spring Creek Farm
Spring Creek Farm, located on Alaska Pacific University’s Kellogg Campus, is an educational farm located in Palmer, AK. We grow 2 acres of vegetables to supply a CSA program, farmers market, dining services and various educational programs involving APU students and the wider community. We are seeking a Sustainable Farming Management and Marketing Assistant during the summer months of 2021. This is a 10-week position beginning June 7 and ending August 13, with some flexibility. This position will assist the Farm Manager and farm crew by fulfilling the following roles:
- Farm operations (2 days per week)
- Performing day-to-day farm operations alongside Farm Manager and farm crew, including planting, weeding, harvesting, washing, and marketing of vegetables.
- Education, Research and Outreach (2 days per week)
- Developing educational and outreach materials for CSA member newsletter, including photos, articles, recipes, and other communications from the farm.
- Assisting with the development of materials for ongoing educational, research, and outreach projects, including cover crop variety trials and mechanical root washer development and demonstration.
- Under supervision of Farm Manager, managing social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Slack) in order to communicate specific goals and values of the organization to customers and the public.
- Farmer’s market management (1 day per week)
- Helping to recruit and communicate with new market vendors and customers about market details.
- Assisting with day-of management of APU’s brand-new farmer’s market, including set-up, vendor placement and questions, welcome booth management, and customer engagement.
- When time allows, assisting Spring Creek Farm staff with farmstand and CSA pick-up management by interacting with customers, fielding questions, selling produce, and distributing vegetable shares.
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, and wind.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Academic and professional interest in sustainable agriculture and/or food systems.
- Ability to lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This is an unpaid assistantship, full-time assistantship.
- On-campus housing is provided in a farm apartment with a private room and shared kitchen, bathroom, and laundry spaces, along with fresh vegetables from the farm based on availability.
- Successful applicant will be enrolled in a 1-credit assistantship at Alaska Pacific University. No application for enrollment required.
- Successful applicant will be trained to drive University vehicles, and will have periodic access to a vehicle for local trips to grocery store, trailheads, etc.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume to APU Spring Creek Farm Manager, Ben Swimm, at [email protected] by 3/1/21. Your cover letter should discuss your interest in organic farm management and your ability to perform the duties detailed above, as well as relevant, previous experience.