The Rockfish Wildlife Sanctuary internship program is an eight-week, paid position. These internships are an incredible introduction to animal care and nonprofit work: our interns are key members of our summer team, participating in critical elements of the Sanctuary’s work. We seek dedicated individuals who are passionate about wildlife, comfortable with animals, and ready to work hard for a good cause. About this position:
- There are three internships available for summer 2019. Internships are 5 days a week, 8-hour days, for 8 weeks. Compensation is $10/hour, with maximum pay of $3,200 for the 8-week time period. The first is May 17 – July 12. The second is June 6 – August 1. The third internship runs from June 21 – August 16.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Applicants must have health insurance and be up-to-date on the tetanus vaccination.
- Applicants must complete the rabies vaccination sequence prior to the start of the internship. Scholarships are available to cover the cost of this critical vaccination.
- Must have your own car or have access to a car for transporting animals to the sanctuary.
- Must have proof of up-to-date tetanus shot.
- We provide housing on a first come, first serve basis as well as $10/hour.
Daily tasks include:
- Hand feedings of baby mammals and birds
- Food preparation and distribution
- Cleaning: cages, dishes, laundry, mopping floors, etc.
- Patient intake and answering the phone
- Informally interacting with the public on matters of wildlife rescue, rehabilitation, and conservation
If interested, please send resume and cover letter (focusing on any experience and/or passion for wildlife/nature you have) to [email protected] by February 12, 2019.
(Note from Sarah Cooperman: interns will also get to hang out with Miss Scarlet Pearl, our educational opossum!)