Urban Roots’ Summer Educators will serve as lead educators for five to twelve year olds during our summer Farm
Camps. Through harvesting, digging, feeding livestock, art, games, cooking, and other outdoor activities, AmeriCorps
members will help children develop a sense of place, build knowledge, and encourage healthy, sustainable, lifestyles.
Urban Roots’ mission is to grow healthy minds, bodies, and communities through place-based and seed-to-table
education. Urban Roots is dedicated to changing the way kids eat and learn. We are the leading provider of garden
education for schools in northern Nevada and believe that food is a powerful tool when it is fully integrated into the
classroom. From gardening and compost programs in local schools to teacher workshops, School Garden Coordinator
training, and summer camp at the Urban Roots’ Farm, Urban Roots is committed to helping children make the important
connections between food, health, and their environment.
Timeline: May 30th, 2017 – August 25th, 2017
Location: Urban Roots’ Farm, 3001 W 4th St, Reno, Nevada 89523
• Positive attitude and passion for the Urban Roots’ mission;
• All applicants must be available for the entirety of the summer work period;
• Experience and/or strong interest in environmental education and sustainable agriculture;
• Coursework in environmental education or a related field;
• Willingness to complete labor-intensive farm work;
• Willingness to work closely with a small team;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
• Able to lift and carry 50lbs and lead activities in all weather conditions.
AmeriCorps Summer Educators responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Successful completion of a background check, camp training, severe allergy training, and CPR/First Aid Training;
• Available 8:00 – 5:00 Monday – Friday with some weekend work required;
• Lead/teach summer camps for up to 15 children in the 5-12 year age range in accordance with the provided
curriculum and training;
• Develop age-appropriate lesson plans for use at the camp;
• Provide a safe, fun, learning environment;
• Utilize and mentor summer interns & volunteers assisting with summer camp programs;
• Work with the Urban Roots’ team to complete work projects on the farm.
Urban Roots’ Summer Educators are funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service and Nevada
Volunteers. In return for their service, AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance and will be eligible for an
education award at the successful completion of service.
Send a cover letter and resume to Alisha Cahlan at [email protected] Deadline for applications is April 17th, 2017.
Urban Roots Summer Educators