Berkshire Natural Resources Council
Seasonal Stewardship Crew: Three Positions Available
Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC), a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield,
Massachusetts, is offering three Seasonal Stewardship Crew positions to individuals exploring a
career in the environmental field.
With nearly 11,000 acres, and 60 miles of trails under BNRC management, the crew’s time will be
split between assisting BNRC’s Stewardship Assistant with property maintenance and improvement
projects, and assisting BNRC’s Trails Coordinator with construction of new hiking trail and
maintenance of existing trails. The crew may also assist with outreach events such as guided public
hikes and volunteer workdays. The 40- hour/week position provides a $13 hourly wage and free
lodging in a rustic cabin on Onota Lake in Pittsfield. The Stewardship Crew will enjoy a high level
of independence and a large amount of self-motivation is required. There is a mix of approximately
90% field work to 10% office work. The seasonal position dates are May 26th to August 14th, with
some flexibility on both ends.
• Regular maintenance of BNRC properties, trails and equipment
• Trail construction
• Property improvement projects (such as installing signs, kiosks, and clearing old fields)
• Public outreach (e.g., leading hikes, communicating with hikers, tabling, public events, etc.)
• Other stewardship related tasks as required
• Ability to work unsupervised
• Comfort with being alone in the woods
• Willingness to work long days outside in all weather conditions
• Ability to carry a 50-pound pack for 5 miles over rough terrain
• Strong communication skills
• Experience with hand tools preferred
• Trail crew experience preferred (tread work, rock/timber structure, etc.)
• Personal transportation
Opportunities and Experiences:
• Learn about basic land management techniques and challenges
• Trail work experience and training
• Work alongside professional trail crews
• Learn about land conservation in the Berkshires
• 3 paid personal days, with the opportunity for a season’s end bonus.
• Free housing on Lake Onota in Pittsfield (www.bnrc.org/contact-us-2/employment/ for photos of
Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis starting Monday, February 3rd until the positions are
filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Josh Hopmans,
[email protected] Additional information can be found at www.bnrc.org, or by calling 413-499-0596.
The seasonal positions and housing are made possible by John Rice and family.