472 West Mountain Road, Lenox, MA 01240; 413-637-0320
Early Childhood Program Lead – Part-Time Seasonal
The Early Childhood Program Lead will oversee the Knee-High Naturalist program at Berkshire Nature Camp in Lenox Massachusetts for children aged 3-5. The program leader will connect and communicate with families and maintain a warm, professional relationship with children and their parents. The majority of each program is spent outdoors, exploring the Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Design and implement a nature education program for young children that reflects standards for early childhood education and Mass Audubon’s mission;
- Plan daily sessions, including short hikes, exploration activities, nature crafts, stories, songs, etc.;
- Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for young children at both indoor and outdoor settings;
- Maintain physical environment by contributing to housekeeping tasks as needed and/or requested;
- Direct young adult volunteers (Leaders-in-Training) in support tasks e.g., setup and cleanup, helping with crafts, accompanying young children to bathrooms, and helping with washing;
- Spend up to 4 hours daily outdoors with the participants during all kinds of weather;
- Maintain schedule as determined by the Camp Director;
- Be available for training and all four weeks of the program.
- Love of nature and teaching young children;
- Experience teaching outdoors with children ages 3 to 5 years old;
- Experience and/or training focused on providing care for young children;
- General understanding of New England forest ecology and basic identification skills for local flora and fauna.
- Bachelor’s Degree (completed or in progress) in Environmental Education, Early Childhood Education, or equivalent experience/knowledge
Compensation and Benefits: $13.50 – $15 per hour dependent upon experience; approximately 25 hours/week x 4 weeks. Housing is not provided, however we can provide information on securing housing for the summer.
2019 Camp Season: June 17-19 (Training), June 24-28, July 15-19, July 29-August 2, August 12-16
Program Hours: 9:00am – 1pm; Monday – Friday
How to Apply:
Please send letter of interest, resume; and contact info for three references to:
Max Galdos-Shapiro, Camp Director and Education Coordinator
Mass Audubon’s Berkshire Sanctuaries