Early Childhood Program Leader/Naturalist – Part-Time Seasonal
Implement a multi-sensory nature education program, incorporating nature exploration, arts and crafts, stories, music, and the development of social skills for children ages 3-5. The program leader will connect and communicate with families and maintain a warm, professional relationship with children and their parents. The majority of each program is spent outdoors, exploring the Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Design and implement a nature education program for young children and their parents/guardians, that reflects the needs of children, standards for early childhood education, and Mass Audubon’s mission;
- Plan daily sessions, including short hikes, exploration activities, nature crafts, stories, songs, etc.;
- Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for young children at both indoor and outdoor settings;
- Maintain physical environment by contributing to housekeeping tasks as needed and/or requested;
- Direct young adult volunteers (Leaders-in-Training) in support tasks e.g., setup and cleanup, helping with crafts, accompanying young children to bathrooms, and helping with washing;
- Spend up to 3 hours daily outdoors with the participants during all kinds of weather;
- 2018 Program Dates/Times: July 16-19 and August 13-16; 9:00 am – 12 pm;
- Maintain schedule as determined by the Education Coordinator;
- Approximate Hours: 8:00 am- 1:00 pm, Monday – Thursday; includes 12 hours of teaching and 8 hours of preparation each week.
- Love of nature and teaching young children;
- Experience teaching outdoors with children ages 3 to 5 years old;
- Experience and/or training focused on providing care for young children;
- EEC Preschool or Elementary School Teacher certification is preferred but not required.
Compensation and Benefits: $13.50+/- per hour dependent upon experience; 20 hours/week x 2 weeks
Program Description (as promoted): Knee-High Naturalists – Help your preschooler (3-5 years old) explore nature this summer. Your child will enjoy nature study activities and nature arts and crafts, stories and songs. Parents/grandparents are welcome to stay for the program or leave their child and return for pick-up. Plan to be outdoors for most of the morning.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to:
Gayle Tardif-Raser, Education Coordinator
Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
472 West Mountain Road
Lenox, MA 01240