Nature Day Camp Educator – Summer 2018
Berkshire Nature Camp at Pleasant Valley is celebrating its’ 71st year. We are seeking caring, committed, and enthusiastic educators to lead campers in a summer full of nature exploration and discovery. Mass Audubon’s mission is to protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife. Mass Audubon protects 36,500 acres of land throughout Massachusetts, saving birds and other wildlife, and making nature accessible to all. Our Berkshire Nature camp is based out of the ecologically rich Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary, in Lenox, MA.
- Plan and lead nature/environmental learning activities for young campers (5-12 years old);
- Help campers explore Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary’s 1300+ acres of forests, fields, streams, and ponds;
- Supervise and ensure health and safety of campers;
- Maintain communication with parents and other staff;
- Provide mentoring to younger Leaders in Training (LITs);
- Must be available June 11 – August 17, 2018; Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 3:30 pm or 8:30 am – 4:00 pm;
- Must work at least two camp late nights (until 10pm) during the summer;
- Work 9 or 10 weeks, with approximately 2 weeks of paid training, depending upon position.
- Outstanding communication skills, able to work/learn in team setting with flexibility and sense of humor;
- At least 18 years old with one or more year of college experience;
- Strong interest and education background in environmental science fields, education, and/or the arts; knowledge of nature in the Berkshire region;
- Experience working with children in camp or educational settings; able to share their interests with children aged 5-15;
- Certification in CPR/First Aid required (training is provided for those who need certification) Lifeguard/Water Safety/Wilderness First Aid desirable;
- Passing background record checks (CORI and SORI).
Compensation and Benefits:
Pay: $12.00- $13.50 per hour (depending on experience and position) for 9 or 10 week season. Housing is not provided.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to:
Gayle Tardif-Raser, Education Coordinator
Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
472 West Mountain Road
Lenox, MA 01240