472 West Mountain Road, Lenox, MA 01240; 413-637-0320
Nature Day Camp Educator – Summer 2019
Berkshire Nature Camp at Pleasant Valley is celebrating its’ 72st year. We are seeking caring, committed, and enthusiastic educators to lead campers in a summer full of nature exploration and discovery. Mass Audubon’s mission is to protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife. Mass Audubon protects 36,500 acres of land throughout Massachusetts, saving birds and other wildlife, and making nature accessible to all. Our Berkshire Nature camp is based out of the ecologically rich Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary, in Lenox, MA.
- Plan and lead nature/environmental learning activities for campers aged 5-16 years old;
- Help campers explore Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary’s 1300+ acres of forests, fields, streams, and ponds;
- Supervise and ensure health and safety of campers;
- Maintain communication with parents and other staff;
- Provide mentoring to younger Leaders in Training (LITs);
- Must work at least two camp late nights (until 10pm) during the summer;
- Be available for all 9 or 10 weeks of camp, including approximately 1.5 weeks of paid training, depending upon position.
- Outstanding communication skills, able to work/learn in team setting with flexibility and sense of humor;
- At least 18 years old with one or more years of college experience;
- Educational background in environmental science fields, education, and/or the arts; knowledge of nature in the Berkshire region; preference will go to those who actively pursue their curiosity about the natural world.
- Experience working with children in camp or educational settings; able to share their interests with children aged 5-16;
- Certification in CPR/First Aid, Lifeguard, or Wilderness First Aid highly desirable;
- Ability to pass background record checks (CORI, SORI, and NSOPW).
Compensation and Benefits:
Pay: $12.00- $13.50 per hour (depending on experience and position) for 9 or 10 week season. Housing is not provided, however we can provide information on securing housing for the summer.
Schedule: Training begins June 12, 2019. Camp runs Monday – Friday, June 24 – August 16
How to Apply:
Send letter of interest, resume; and contact info for three references to:
Max Galdos-Shapiro, Camp Director and Education Coordinator
Mass Audubon’s Berkshire Wildlife Sanctuaries; 413-637-0320