Outdoor Early Childhood Educator – Part-Time Seasonal
Berkshire Nature Camp at Pleasant Valley is celebrating its’ 79th year. We are seeking caring, committed, and enthusiastic educators to lead campers in a summer full of nature exploration and discovery. Mass Audubon’s mission is to protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife. Mass Audubon protects 36,500 acres of land throughout Massachusetts, saving birds and other wildlife, and making nature accessible to all. Our Berkshire Nature camp is based out of the ecologically rich Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary, in Lenox, MA.
The Early Childhood Educator will facilitate programming for the Knee High Naturalists (ages 3-5) and the Discoverers (ages 5-6).
- Design and implement a nature education program for young children in coordination with the Early Childhood Program Lead.
- Plan daily sessions, including short hikes, exploration activities, nature crafts, stories, songs, etc.;
- Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for young children at both indoor and outdoor settings;
- Maintain physical environment by contributing to housekeeping tasks as needed and/or requested;
- Spend up to 4 hours daily outdoors with the participants during all kinds of weather;
- Be available for all 9 or 10 weeks of camp, including approximately 1.5 weeks of paid training, depending upon position.
- Love of nature and teaching young children;
- Experience teaching outdoors with children ages 3 to 6 years old;
- Experience and/or training focused on providing care for young children;
- General understanding of New England forest ecology and basic identification skills for local flora and fauna.
- Bachelor’s Degree (completed or in progress) in Environmental Education, Early Childhood Education, or equivalent experience/knowledge
- Ability to pass background record checks (CORI, SORI, and NSOPW).
Compensation and Benefits:
$13 – $15 per hour dependent upon experience; approximately 35 hours/week. Housing is not provided, however we can provide information on securing housing for the summer.
Schedule: Training begins the week of June 08, 2020. Camp runs Monday to Friday from 9am-3pm, June 22 – August 14
How to Apply:
Please send letter of interest, resume; and contact info for three references to:
Max Galdos-Shapiro, Camp Director and Education Coordinator
Mass Audubon’s Berkshire Sanctuaries