Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC), a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, is offering three Seasonal Stewardship Crew positions to individuals exploring a career in the environmental field.
With nearly 13,000 acres and 60 miles of trails under BNRC management, the crew’s time will be split between assisting BNRC’s Stewardship Team with property and trail maintenance and property improvement projects. The 40-hour/week position provides a $14 hourly wage. The Stewardship Crew will enjoy a high level of independence and a large amount of self-motivation is required. There is a mix of approximately 90% field work to 10% office work. The seasonal position dates are May 24th to August 13th, with some flexibility on both ends.
BNRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We especially welcome applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and veterans. We are actively engaged in ensuring our properties are welcoming to all, and in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- Regular maintenance of BNRC properties and trails including:
- Trailhead mowing and weed whacking
- Trail corridor widening
- Clearing trails of fallen trees
- Repainting trail blazes
- Trash collection
- Property improvement projects such as:
- Installing/replacing signs
- Constructing and installing kiosks, benches, and other infrastructure
- Reclaiming old fields
- Assisting with volunteer workdays
- Communicating with hikers on the trail
- Other stewardship related tasks as required
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Comfort with being alone in the woods
- Willingness to work long days outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to carry a 30-pound pack for 5 miles over rough terrain
- Strong communication skills
- Experience with hand tools preferred
- Personal transportation
Personal vehicles will be used extensively due to social distancing guidelines. Mileage will be reimbursed periodically.
Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis starting Monday, March 1st until the positions are filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Josh Hopmans, [email protected]. Additional information can be found at www.bnrc.org, or by calling 413-499-0596.
The seasonal positions are made possible by John Rice and family.