Williamstown Rural Lands (WRL), a private, non-profit land trust in Williamstown, Massachusetts – in conjunction with the Williams Outing Club – is offering two seasonal Trail Steward positions to individuals interested in exploring careers related to the environment and the outdoors.
We are hiring to fill two (2) positions: Trail Steward
Eight weeks / June 14 – August 6
*Student on-campus housing might be available for Williams College students, depending on the state of the COVID pandemic. We hope to have further details by April 1.
Trail Stewards will spend two months maintaining, building, and clearing trails in Williamstown’s extensive trail network. They will also work on property improvement projects on some of WRL’s nearly 1,000 acres of protected land.
This 40 hour/week internship pays a wage of $13.50/hour and provides the opportunity to learn firsthand about the balance between nature and outdoor recreation.
Over the course of the season, interns will:
– learn the skills needed to analyze, plan, and complete various trail projects
– learn about land stewardship, habitat preservation, and sustainability of the recreation landscape
– develop collaboration and leadership skills
– plan and lead a volunteer workday for the community
– become familiar with practical outdoors skills
Projects often are in the backcountry, and work is performed using hand tools and power tools. All interns will be trained in tool-use and safety.
Planning and completing various stewardship projects including the maintenance and clearing of trails; construction of trail stabilization and erosion prevention structures; identification and removal of invasive species; construction of steps, walkways, and bridges. Duties may also include building and installing trail signs and kiosks, sharpening and maintaining tools, and blazing trails.
– Ability and willingness to hike daily, often while carrying tools and a 25-pound pack;
– Ability to lift up to 40lbs;
– Comfort with spending extensive time outdoors, in all weather conditions, sometimes alone.
– Applicants must be age 18 years or older by internship start date
Preference will be given to applicants who are self-motivated, reliable, and who work well in a group. Experience with trail maintenance, gardening, yard work, and carpentry is helpful. A love for the outdoors is essential.
Applications are due by March 18.
Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview.
APPLY HERE: https://forms.gle/FLW6qrTYhXhAKssy9
Email: [email protected]
Lands & Trails Coordinator
Williamstown Rural Lands Foundation